Atkins diet is a low carb diet, but it contains high protein and fat. It is thought that when you get low levels of carb, your body will burn fat to meet its energy needs. Thanks to the high level of protein intake, you will feel less hunger, you will eat less and in the end you will get less calorie and end up losing weight.
Many studies show that this diet is actually effective in weight loss. It also improves your blood sugar balance and actually good for cholesterol.
This diet system is a little bit under discussion because of the fact that it includes high levels of fat. But studies have shown that saturated fat is actually harmless for cholesterol.
This diet system was introduced by Dr. Atkins with his book “Atkins Diet Revolution” in 1972. Dr. Atkins was actually a cardiology expert. He found this diet system after being effected by the article “Weight Reduction” in the Journal of American Medical Association in 1958.
The principles of Atkins diet
- There may be 2 or 3 meal times a day. You can have snacks, too.
- You must drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
- Men get 1800-2000 calorie a day and women can get 1500-1800 calorie a day.
- You need to calculate and count your daily calorie intake.
Phases in Atkins Diet
There are four phases in Atkins diet.
- Phase 1: This phase lasts for 15 to 20 days. In this phase You take 20 gr of carb daily. You eat foods rich in protein and fat. 25% of the daily energy requirement is obtained from proteins, 70% from fats and 5% from carbohydrates. In this phase, your goal is to lose weight fast taking low calorie and increasing your metabolism. You may have some difficulties at the beginning but after two or three days your body will get accustomed to it.
- Phase 2: you can add some low carb fruit and vegetable to your diet.
- Phase 3: In this step, you come closer to your ideal weight. You add more carb to your diet until your weight loss speed slows down.
- Phase 4: This phase is for weight control. You try to keep the weight you have. You can add carb to your diet without getting weight.
There may be some differences while applying these phases. For example, some people choose to pass the first phase eating lots od fruits or some others choose to stay at the first phase which is known as ketogenic diet.
These changes are okay as long as you obey the nutrition plan, which depends on low carb and high protein and fat intake.
Foods to eat
- Meat and meat Products: beef, chicken meat, pork, lamb, bacon, sausage
- Milk and dairy products: full fat milk, yogurt, white cheese, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, buttermilk, butter, cream
- Eggs: The egg is rich in Protein and can be consumed freely in the form of nutrition.
- Low carbohydrate vegetables: asparagus, spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, leeks, artichoke, celery, zucchini, beans, eggplant, pepper, cucumber, tomato
- Nuts and oilseeds: Walnut, almond, hazelnut, sunflower seeds etc.
- Healthy fats: olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, avocado oil
Foods to avoid
- Sugar: sugar-containing beverages, fruit juices, confectionery, ice cream, cakes and pastries
- Cereals: wheat, barley, rye, brass
- Vegetable oils: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil
- High carbohydrate vegetables: peas, carrots, potatoes, turnip, sweet potatoes (should be avoided only at stage 1)
- High carbohydrate fruits: bananas, apples, pears, oranges, figs, grapes (should be ringed away only in stage 1)
- Legumes: chickpeas, dried beans, lentils
Low calorie food options for snacks
When applying the Atkins diet list, it is important to choose the nutrient that is more preferred than the amount consumed. Therefore, different meal options can be preferred.
- Boiled eggs
- Cheese types
- Full fat yogurt
- Strawberry and Cream
- A handful of hazelnuts
- Fruit varieties (1. After phase consumable)
This diet model promises fast and lasting weight loss. However, you must also know that it may cause some problems with your health. The nutritional form adopted by the Atkins diet can result in increase in your cholesterol and triglycerides levels.
Because fiber content is low, it can lead to constipation, which can adversely affect cardiovascular health because the fat content is high.
Limited carbohydrate intake can bring about some problems such as weakness, fatigue, insomnia, and the restriction of grain group may also cause deficiency of B vitamins.
Sample one-week Atkins diet list
Example of a 1-week Atkins Diet List
- Breakfast: 2 eggs and tomatoes in coconut oil
- Noon: 150 gr Chicken with olive oil salad + yogurt
- Evening: Grilled steak + boiled olive oil vegetables
- Breakfast: Bacon omelette + greens
- Noon: 150-200 gr grilled meatballs + salad with olive oil
- Evening: Zucchini Meal + yogurt
- Breakfast: 1 boiled egg + 1 slice white cheese + 2 full walnut inside
- Noon: Avocado, 80 gr Tuna Salad
- Dinner: Green beans with olive oil + boiled chicken
- Breakfast: 1 Serving strawberry + 1 handful hazelnut + 1 bowl yogurt
- Noon: Grilled chicken + asparagus
- Evening: Salmon + salad with abundant greens
- Breakfast: 1 Slice smoked turkey + 3 eggs omelette
- Noon: Salad with olive oil shrimp
- Evening: Meatloaf Vegetable meal + yogurt
- Breakfast: Veggie omelette prepared in butter
- Lunch: Spinach with hash + salad
- Evening: Grilled fish + scalling Vegetables
- Breakfast: Omelette with white cheese + tomato + walnut as palms
- Noon: Olive oil artichoke + yogurt
- Evening: Boiled meat + avocado salad