Grapefruit diet helps you lose weight by balancing the insulin hormone which regulates fat burning in the body. It increases metabolism and helps the digestive system function correctly. But it is best known for its weight loss feature. In this article, we will talk about the benefits of grapefruit and its weight loss feature.
The grapefruit diet is a kind of quick weight loss diet with a claim of 5 kilos of weight loss 10 days. It became famous in the 1930s.
The aim of this diet is to limit fruit and vegetable consumption. It suggests its followers to consume protein rich foods ,instead. You eat meat which is high in protein and fat along with grapefruit juice.
With the fat burning feature of grapefruit, meat and other foods which are rich in protein are taken out of body before they are turned into fat.
Does It work?
The recent studies show that the grapefruit reduces the insulin level in blood and it suppresses the feeling of hunger.
The fat burning enzymes in grapefruit and grapefruit juice function as a natural weight loss medicine and helps you lose weight.
You can even lose 3 kilos in 3 months by just drinking a glass of grapefruit juice and eating a half grapefruit a day along with your normal eating habits.
It is proven by many researches by American Universities that by drinking grapefruit juice one can lose 3 kilos in three months.
How does it work?
With this diet you are expected to take 800 – 1000 calories a day. This below what you need. Even if you do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice you will still lose weight because of the low calorie quantity you take.
The grapefruit prevents fat storing in the body. It has a low glycemic index. It reduces the insulin level in the blood and prevents body to store fat. There is no known harm of grapefruit.
It is a nutritious food. It is rich in Vitamin C and fiber. Eating one grapefruit a day meets your vitamin C needs all day.
Grapefruit Diet Plan
For faster weight loss, grapefruit diet is applied. So, what is grapefruit diet and how is it applied? What should you eat along with grapefruit and how much grapefruit should you consume? Let’s answer these questions now.
Though It may have variations, In grapefruit diet, there are five main meal times. Followers are encouraged to drink plain coffee without sugar and lots of water.
- Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 thin slices of bacon, plain coffee, half grapefruit or 250 ml grapefruit juice
- Lunch: Shepherd’s salad, unlimited meat, half grapefruit or 250 ml grapefruit juice
- Dinner: Red cabbage celery is a dish consisting of red vegetables and starch-green leafy vegetables such as beets. Unlimited meat or fish meat, half grapefruit or 250 ml grapefruit juice
- Night Snack: 250 ml skim milk. In the grapefruit diet, salads are free to use oil. It is recommended that you eat food by cooking. It’s forbidden to use sugar in grapefruit juice.
When applying the this diet, you should be aware that:
- Repeat this diet for at least 12 days at intervals of 2 days.
- For at least 8 cups of water each day.
- You can eat what you want, provided you have a single meal.
- Do not skip the salad especially during breakfast.
Other amazing benefits of grapefruit
Though It is well-known for its weight loss features, the grapefruit has other benefits. It has a healing effect on wounds and scars. Researches show that when you consume a lot of grapefruit, your scars will heal much faster.
It also reduces the level of cholesterol. The nutritional elements found in the grapefruit; Folic acid, pantotonic acid, vitamin E promotes benign cholesterol that we call HDL cholesterol.
image source: pexels