The 80/20 Diet: How Does It Work?

The 80/20 Diet is not a typical one, but a long-term eating style: with the 80/20 rule you eat 80 percent healthy and 20 percent everything you feel like eating.

Many people associate healthy eating or losing weight with doing without. No more sugar, sweets and other luxury foods, no more white flour and pastries, no more soft drinks…

The crux of the matter is not the renunciation in itself, but the fact that this leads to the fact that we usually have to think even more of the things we should let be. But who says that a healthy diet or a diet must be one hundred percent?

And in general: How can such a one hundred percent solution be implemented in the long term? Especially if you don’t always have 100 percent control over your own diet, for example when you travel or are invited?

80 percent of your diet is super healthy

The 80/20 diet: a long-term diet

The 80/20 diet is not actually a diet, but a long-term healthy diet style. The idea behind it is that a one hundred percent healthy diet is hardly possible in the long run – 80 percent, on the other hand, is quite feasible. The remaining 20 per cent can consist of less healthy and nature-left courts and thus everything further contain, after which you is. This has the advantage that you do not have to do without anything.

80 Percent of your diet is super healthy

On the menu of the 80/20 diet are for the healthy part lots of vegetables, salad, fresh fruit, nuts, pseudo cereals such as quinoa, amaranth, natural cereals such as brown and wild rice, spelt, millet and oats or light meat and fish. Natural dairy products such as natural yoghurt or skimmed curd cheese and goat milk products can also be counted.

In principle, 80 percent of the diet is made up of natural, poorly processed, nutritious, high-quality and above all plant-based foods. These ensure that the body is sufficiently supplied with important nutrients, thereby reducing cravings.

In principle, 80 percent of the diet is made up of natural, poorly processed, nutritious, high-quality and above all plant-based foods. These ensure that the body is sufficiently supplied with important nutrients, thereby reducing cravings.

Nutrition without renunciation: 20% of your diet you eat what you want without restriction. 20 percent of your diet may also consist of unhealthy foods.

Pizza, pasta, burgers, ice cream, sweets, cakes and biscuits, soft drinks, alcohol, etc.: this is also permitted in the 80/20 diet. But only 20 percent, in moderation. Because these foods are basically allowed, you are not tempted to constantly feel the urge to eat them, because they are allowed to satisfy you in the 80/20 diet.

At the same time, you don’t have to feel guilty if you treat yourself to a piece of cake or a bag of chips. And even if you are on the road or invited somewhere, you are more flexible.

The 80/20 Diet: How Does It work?

When implementing the 80/20 diet, different approaches can be chosen. One of them is to divide the week into meals: If you eat an average of three meals a day, the 20 percent represents about four meals a week. If you eat five smaller meals a day, the 20 percent would be about seven smaller meals a week. All other meals are among the healthy 80 percent of your diet.

Another variation is that 80 percent of a single meal is healthy, while the remaining 20 percent is allowed. For example, the main course could be a light vegetable dish with rice or a large salad and the dessert an ice cream, a piece of cake or a chocolate bar.

Now it could be that the 80 percent healthy diet already seems a lot to you and cannot be easily integrated into your everyday life. Also the variants 70/30 – 70 percent healthy, 30 percent everything else – or even 60/40 – 60 percent healthy, 40 percent everything else – can already make a big difference and are suitable as a first step if you are currently eating a very unhealthy diet.

The 80/20 Diet: The Advantages

One of the biggest advantages of the 80/20 diet is its high proportion of healthy, natural and fresh foods, which ensure a good supply of nutrients. At the same time, however, it also leaves room for manoeuvre since it is not a radical diet or change in diet and no one hundred percent approach is taken.

By allowing everything – unhealthy in moderation – cravings are avoided. Also hot hunger attacks should occur thereby only rarely and thus also the yo-yo effect is bypassed, should you want to lose weight. Last but not least, the 80/20 diet can be perfectly integrated into everyday life and offers sufficient flexibility when you are on the move or invited.

Result: The 80/20 Dit is a on a long-term basis healthy nourishing way, which is definitely feasible in my opinion!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.